Master of Science or MSc is chosen by students interested in a science background. While preparing for the MSC entrance exam, the students are taught science courses. Students can choose any of the specialisations from the course, like Botany, Chemistry, Zoology, Mathematics, Microbiology, and many others.
Every college that selects students based on the MSc entrance exam has certain basic requirements:
- Candidates who are selected should have a minimum of 50-60 percent of the score in the qualifying exam.
- The last degree of the student should be at least a graduate.
- Candidates with BSC degrees in Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics, Biology, and other specializations are preferred.
Moreover, when choosing a career, MSc allows students to work in the private and government sectors. Plus, it is the foundation for students who wish to pursue Ph.D. or MPhil courses in the research field. It allows students to choose their specialisations at the postgraduate level.
Read more about MSc Degree.
List of MSC Entrance Exam
|Entrance Exam||Exam Details||Exam Date|
|MCAER CET||The MCAER CET is the MSC entrance exam conducted by the Maharashtra Agriculture Universities Examination Board. The exam selects students for courses other than MSC, like MTech and MFSc. Every year, thousands of students appear for the exam. The eligibility criteria for the exam include the following:·
Graduation of at least three-year duration in a relevant subject.
Candidates must have a score of 55 percent or 5.5 CGPA in graduation.
Candidates in the final year of graduation could also apply for the exam.
|IIT JAM||IIT Joint Admission Test (JAM) is the all-India level online entrance exam. Every year IIT conducts this exam on behalf of the Ministry of Human Resource Development of India. The exam is conducted to give candidates admission to MSC and other postgraduate courses offered by the institute. Apart from IIT, several other NITs and CFTIs accept the JAM scores for MSC admission. Moreover, the candidates must hold a bachelor’s degree to be eligible for the exam. To apply for the exam, candidates must fill out the form online.||12 February 2023|
|OUAT Entrance Exam||The Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology holds the OUAT exam. The exam offers admission to the aspirants in the postgraduate and undergraduate courses. This MSC entrance exam is a computer-based test conducted once every year. To be eligible for the exam, the candidate should have a minimum qualification of 10+2 with a science subject. Moreover, the candidates should have a minimum of 50 per cent in their higher secondary. To be eligible to sit in the exam, the candidates should have Odia as one of their subjects in the higher secondary school.||August 2023|
|Pantnagar University Entrance Exam||Govind Ballabh Pant University of Agriculture and Technology conducts the Pantnagar entrance exam annually. The exam offers admission for various postgraduate and undergraduate courses in agriculture, science and many other streams. It is a pen-and-paper entrance exam that candidates must complete in three hours. The candidates appearing for the exam for undergraduate courses should have passed the 12th standard in the science stream. Moreover, the candidates who sit in the exam for post-graduation should have completed graduation in the science stream.||May 2023|
|UPCATET||UP combined agriculture and technology entrance test is an entrance exam conducted to provide admission to students in Uttar Pradesh domicile. It is a state-level MSC entrance exam that is conducted once every year. The exam mode is offline, and the duration is for three hours. There are 200 questions in the paper, with a total mark of 600. Candidates should have opted for science in their higher secondary to be eligible to sit in the exam. Moreover, the candidates should be less than 22 years and more than 16 years to sit for the exam.||June 2023|
|GSAT||GSAT is a national-level exam that is conducted once every year. GSAT is conducted every year by the GITAM institute of science. The institute offers various undergraduate and postgraduate programs to the candidates. The candidates interested in sitting in the exam need to submit an application form. The exam is conducted offline, and the duration is 1 hour. The candidates to be eligible to sit in the exam should have completed a minimum of 50 percent in the HSC to sit in the exam. Plus, the admit card for the exam is released one week before the commencement of the exam.||June 2023|
|AGRICET||The Acharya NG agriculture university conducts the agriculture common entrance test exam every year. The exam is a state-level entrance exam and is conducted once every year. The exam is conducted online for 1 hour and 30 minutes. The exam has multiple objective-type questions, and each question carries one mark. Candidates who wish to sit in the exam should fill out the application form and pay the nominal fee. Sometime before the exam, the admit card is available for students to download.||July 2023|
|ICAR AIEEA PG||NTA conducts ICAR AIEEA PG to shortlist candidates for a postgraduate and doctoral programme. The exam is conducted in computer-based mode and is held once every year. It is a two-hour duration exam with a total number of 120 questions. The test centers for the exam are located in 89 cities across India. The eligibility criteria for candidates to sit in the exam include:
The minimum age should be 19 years.
The candidate should be Indian only.
Candidates must have completed graduation in the related field.
|TIFR GS||TIFR GS is a national-level entrance exam conducted by the Tata institute of fundamental research. The MSC entrance exam provides admissions to students in postgraduate level courses. The students could opt for five-year integrated MSC courses and Ph.D. programmes. It is an offline-based exam and is a three-hour duration exam. The total mark for the exam is 100. The test centres for the exam are located in 38 cities. The admit card for the exam is released in November.||11 December 2022|
|Rajasthan JET Agriculture||Many agricultural colleges and universities offer admission to students who have cleared the JET exam. An agriculture university conducts the Rajasthan JET agriculture entrance exam in Jodhpur. It is an offline based exam and is conducted once every year. The exam is held for the duration of two hours. To be eligible for the exam, the candidate should have based HSC in the Rajasthan board of secondary or equivalent board. Plus, the candidates should have scored a minimum of 50 percent. The candidate should be at most 25 years of age.||June 2023|
|IGKV CET||Indira Gandhi Agriculture University conducts the IGKV CET exam. It offers student admission in its various postgraduate and doctoral courses. Students must clear the IGKV CET exam to get admission to the university. The exam is conducted offline, and candidates must clear the entrance exam. To be eligible to sit in the exam, the candidate should have secured a minimum of 60 percent in the relevant science subject. The exam has a duration of 3 hours and comes in MCQ format.||May 2023|
|AUCET||AUCET is the Andhra university common entrance test conducted by Andhra university. It is a state-level entrance exam that students conduct for enrolment in postgraduate courses. The students could be admitted to Andhra university and relevant colleges depending on the exam score. It is an offline exam held for 1 hour and 30 minutes. To be eligible for the exam, the candidate should be a citizen of India and score at least 50 percent marks. However, there is no age limit to sit in the exam.||June 2023|
|CUET PG||CUET PG is the central university entrance test that NTA conducts. The national-level MSC entrance exam gives admission to 40 central universities. The exam is conducted annually in 554 cities in India and 13 international cities. It is a computer-based exam that is held for two hours. There are 100 questions in the exam, and the total mark is 400. The candidates should have a bachelor’s degree from a recognized university to be able to sit in the exam.||July 2023|
|ANUPGCET||ANUPGCET is a common entrance exam that helps get admission to postgraduate courses at Acharya Nagarjuna University. It is an offline mode entrance exam that is held for 90 minutes. Mainly MCQ based questions are asked in the exam. The candidates should have a relevant bachelor’s degree to be able to sit in the exam. The exam is conducted in two languages, English and Telugu. Candidates must fill out the application form to be able to appear for the exam.||June 2023|
MSC Entrance Exam Preparation Tips
To be preparing for the MSC entrance exam, a candidate should keep in mind the below tips:
- The candidate should be able to understand the exam in and out. He should be thorough with the question paper pattern, syllabus, difficulty level etc.
- Effective management would help the candidate easily clear the MSC entrance exam. It helps boost self-confidence, set priorities, and reduce stress levels.
- Candidates should have a deep understanding of the subjects in the exam. Conceptual clarity is important as it helps retain the information for a long time.
- Candidates should have the habit of making notes. This helps in revising the important topics before the exam.
- Candidates must set short-term goals. This helps in keeping pace with lessons and being organised.
- Candidates should be able to identify their weaknesses. This way, they can identify which area to work on.
- Students should keep pushing themselves.
- Solving the previous year’s question paper would give a clear idea to candidates about the exam pattern.
- Studying from the MSC entrance exam’s reference books helps cover the complete subject.
- Taking help from experts in coaching institutes might give useful insight to candidates.
Related blog: MSc Colleges in India
Jobs After MSC in India
After clearing the MSC entrance exam and completing MSc successfully, candidates could apply for the below jobs:
- Chemists: They maintain the laboratory instruments and look after the materials supply. They perform qualitative and quantitative research on various substances for research.
- Marine Biologists: They are researchers providing care for the ocean and aquatic life. Moreover, they write detailed research papers on their findings.
- Chegg Q&A Expert: A Q&A expert at Chegg helps answer questions from students worldwide. They can work from anywhere and at any time.
- Research Assistant: They help individuals heading the research projects by gathering data. They analyse, proofread and check the facts of documents.
- Clinical Psychologists: They help patients battling mental issues. They create a treatment plan and check the progress of patients.
- Statisticians: They gather, analyse and derive insights by checking raw data. They help in aiding with business decisions.
- Ecologists: They help in conducting surveys to check ecosystems and diversity. Also, they identify the relationship between these two.
- Actuary: They study the financial cost that happens because of sickness, death or accident. They use mathematics, statistical modelling and business theory to check risk.
- Data Scientist: They analyse raw data and give insights. They use various techniques to help businesses make decisions.
- Quality Manager: They understand the production and process. Further, they help in developing effective systems to check the products.
Frequently Asked Questions
The choice of doing an MSC in any field depends upon the individual’s interest. However, MSC in clinical psychology, animal biotechnology, computer science, IT, bioinformatics and geology are considered best.
To get admission into the MSC college, the students need to clear the MSc entrance exam. There are various universities affiliated with the MSc exam.
Students should study the complete syllabus to prepare for the MSc entrance exam. After that, he could solve as many mock tests, last year’s question papers and sample papers as he wished too.
To get a seat in MSc, candidates should have cleared graduation in science or equivalent field. Moreover, the candidate should have an aggregate of 60 per cent in the qualifying exam. Even final-year students could apply for a seat in MSc.