BCom Accounting and Finance is a three-year full-time undergraduate course specializing in accountancy and finance. Students who want to know how to become an accountant can opt for this accountant study. This course teaches the technicality of finance and accounting standards through various accounting and finance subjects. The students who want to pursue this course need to qualify for their 10+2 examinations with a minimum 50% score.
Numerous colleges and universities offer Bachelor of Accounting and Finance to candidates looking to qualify as accountants in India. A few colleges provide admissions based on merits, and some colleges conduct entrance examinations. The students who qualify for entrance examinations conducted by the universities and colleges are provided admission and can study for an accountant’s career.
Those pursuing BCom Accounting and Finance get ample opportunities in their career phases. Also, students graduating from this course are eligible to work in job sectors like Banks, excise departments, business analysis, stock exchange, etc, as this is a valid qualification for accountants in India.
Numerous colleges and universities in India offer the graduation course of B.Com in accounting and finance. It is one of the best courses for candidates from a commerce background who want to pursue their career in the same field. The opportunity of learning about technical skills regarding finance and accounts is the main benefit of pursuing B.Com accounting and finance subjects.
The highlights of BCom accounting and finance are given below:
|Course||BCom (Accounting and Finance)|
|Full form||Bachelor of Commerce in Accounting and Finance|
|Eligibility||10+2 examinations qualified from commerce background from any recognized board.|
|Average tuition fee||Rs. 2000 to 4 Lakhs|
|Admission Process||Merit-based or entrance exam conducted by the university|
|Average Salary||Rs. 1 to 10 Lakhs|
Students who truly want to pursue a career in this field should apply for this course as it is a valid qualification for accountant in India. BCom accounting and finance is a course that requires a lot of understanding, focused minds, and dedication toward the subjects to ace it.
The candidates need to know that the proper knowledge of B.Com accounting and finance subjects included in the course is of utmost importance. The basic skills required for BCom accounting and finance are discussed below:
- Good at Mathematics: This goes without saying that the student pursuing BCom accounting and finance as their graduation course should be good at Mathematics. This doesn’t mean that the students need to be the best at maths, but they should know the basics and be able to learn new topics easily without complications.
- Critical thinking: Students with critical thinking will benefit from B.Com accounting and finance subjects. BCom accounting and finance requires logical and spontaneous thinking during its lessons and teachings.
- Creativity: Creativity is one of the major skills required for this graduation course. The students with great creative skills tend to perform better than the others during their study as accountants.
- Great Grasping Power: Having a good grasping power can be helpful for the candidates pursuing this accountant study. The students must cover a vast syllabus in three years and must learn almost everything included. This becomes easier if the students have good grasping power and are attentive during class.
- Listening actively: The students considering pursuing B.Com accounting and finance subjects in their graduation need to understand the importance of the skill mentioned. Active listening is one of the most important skills required for this three-year course. The course consists of vast and knowledgeable topics which can only be covered if the students are active enough.
To pursue this course, the candidates must be aware of the subjects and syllabus included in this study for accountant. The students must apply to the top universities or colleges in India to pursue bachelor in accounting and finance to get great placement opportunities after the course’s completion.
Many of these top colleges and universities conduct entrance exams to provide admissions to qualified candidates. The subjects and syllabus of all the years of BCom accounting and finance are provided below:
|Year 1||Year 2||Year 3|
|Financial Accounting||Corporate accounting||Business Finance|
|Business Organisation||Business Statistics||Auditing|
|Business Economics||Commercial law||Income tax|
|–||Banking theory||Cost accounting|
|–||Business environment||Accounting for managerial decisions|
The candidates must know that during this qualification for an accountant in India, they must learn theoretical and practical knowledge of accounting and finance. This helps the students to apply their knowledge when they are recruited in big companies. The recruitment process is based on how candidates can apply their knowledge to benefit the company.
The candidates must be smart enough to grasp the learning quickly. This helps them in getting greater opportunities when it comes to recruitment. The subjects of BCom accounting and finance are major regarding business analysis and the banking sector. The students must have command over their knowledge of numbers.
The business-related knowledge and practices are of utmost importance while doing this course. Students who have a keen interest in dealing with numbers and statistical analysis are suggested to pursue a Bachelor of Accounting and Finance.
Suggested Read: BBA vs BCom
Plenty of colleges and universities offer Bachelor of accounting and finance as their graduation course. While many colleges accept admission through the merits, a few colleges and universities conduct entrance examinations.
The students qualifying for the entrance exams are then provided admission to their desired universities. A few of the popular entrance exams are discussed below:
- DU JAT: DU JAT exam is conducted to provide admissions to eligible candidates in the colleges of Delhi University. The examination is conducted online, and the qualified candidates are provided admissions in their desired graduation courses.
- SET: The Symbiosis Entrance Test (SET) is conducted by the prestigious Symbiosis International University. The exam is conducted on a national level to admit eligible candidates in numerous courses offered by them.
- IPU CET: The famous Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University conducts a Common Entrance Test (IPU CET) to provide admissions to eligible students in different courses offered by them. The university-level examination is an online exam conducted for both UG and PG courses available at Indraprastha University.
- MHT CET: The Maharashtra Common Entrance Test is a state-level exam conducted for undergraduate students. MHT CET is an online mode examination valid for all the universities and colleges in Maharashtra.
The candidates preparing for the entrance exam must know that all the entrance exams conducted by different universities or colleges are almost similar. The exam consists of sections: Quantitative analysis, logical reasoning, English, and general awareness (especially regarding finance and banking).
- To prepare for the entrance exam, the candidates need to remember basic tips and tricks. These tips will help them ace the entrance exams and get admission to their desired colleges. The preparation tips are provided below:
- For logical reasoning, the candidates must practise mocks as much as possible. The basic concepts of the topics included in logical reasoning should be clear to the candidates.
- The most important thing for quantitative aptitude is understanding the basic concepts. Knowing the concepts before attempting the questions helps save time with maximum accuracy.
- For general awareness, reading newspapers and daily current affairs helps a lot. The students must be aware of the main issues and hot topics happening worldwide and should be updated regarding the basic static GK questions.
- For the English section, the candidates must learn the grammar and vocabulary. For that, they can read journals and editorials daily. Attempting daily mocks will also help the candidates ace this section.
- The main point to keep in mind while preparing for the entrance examination of this qualification for an accountant in India is that the candidate must have proper speed and accuracy. Maximum accuracy is of utmost importance, along with speed, to ace the examination.
- There are negative markings in most entrance exams; the candidates must attempt a question only if they are hundred percent sure about the chosen answer.
Related read: Career after Bcom
Most of the colleges and universities in India offer great courses for commerce background students. Bachelor in accounting and finance is one of them.
But there are a few colleges which are regarded better than the others. These colleges are listed below:
|College/ University||Course Fee Structure||Average Starting Salary (in lakhs)|
|Narsee Monjee College of Commerce & Economics, Mumbai||Rs. 4,941||Rs. 4 Lakhs|
|Lovely Professional University, Punjab||Rs. 9,52,000||Rs. 5 Lakhs|
|Jain University, Bangalore||Rs. 1,20,000||Rs. 4.5 Lakhs|
|Christ University, Bangalore||Rs. 75,000||Rs. 6.85 Lakhs|
|Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University, Gandhi Nagar||Rs. 2,49,000||Rs. 7.02 Lakhs|
|Stella Maris College, Chennai||Rs. 29,645||Rs. 4.2 Lakhs|
|Ethiraj College for Women, Chennai||Rs. 76,000||Rs. 3 Lakhs|
|Chandigarh University, Chandigarh||Rs. 96,000||Rs. 6 Lakhs|
|NIMS University, Rajasthan||Rs. 12,000||Rs. 4 Lakhs|
|St. Andrew’s College of Arts Science & Commerce, Mumbai||Rs. 18,087||Rs. 5-10 Lakhs|
There are various opportunities for students pursuing BCom in accounting and finance as their graduation course. The students must study well and complete their graduation course with great marks to get placement opportunities in big companies.
The top colleges of India which provide good quality education for bachelor in accounting and finance also offer great internships and placement opportunities once graduation is completed.
There are ample job options for students graduating with B.Com accounting and finance subjects. In addition, the candidates can also opt for higher studies to get a better and specified degree. This gives the candidates more opportunities to grow in their preferred field. A few of the job options and their profiles for candidates who have completed bachelor in accounting and finance are mentioned below:
|Job||Job Profile||Average Salary (Annual)|
|Financial analyst||To track its financial status, the companies hire a financial analyst to check its finances. They also have the job of making forecasts regarding finance and making changes accordingly.||Rs. 5- 7 lakhs|
|Accountant||An accountant is responsible for making lists and tables regarding the company’s financial records.||Rs. 2 lakhs|
|Accounts Assistant||Reconciling the finance accounts, controlling credits, managing spreadsheets, working with the accounts team, and managing the company’s financial data are a few responsibilities an account assistant has.||Rs. 2- 4 lakhs|
|Banker||The students who graduate from this course can apply for public sector banks’ post of Probationary Officer (PO). This consists of recruitment exams, and they should be qualified to get recruited. Being allotted in the different branches of the bank, a banker has the responsibility to manage the public dealings of the bank and deal with the loans section.||Rs. 2- 3 Lakhs|
|Money Manager||A company’s money manager is responsible for taking care of the company’s funds and other investment commodities.||Rs. 7- 9 Lakhs|
Frequently Asked Questions
Bachelor of accounting and finance is a three-year graduation course for candidates who want to pursue a career in finance.
Students graduating from this course are specialized in finance and the technicality of accounts.
CFA is one of the highest salaried jobs for students pursuing a bachelor of accounting and finance as their graduation degree and wanting to become professional accountants and analysts.
Yes, bachelor in accounting and finance is a good graduation course, especially for students who want to pursue a career in this field.