Free real estate agent job description. A real estate agent or real estate broker is a realtor who represents sellers or buyers of a home or piece of real estate property. A real estate broker may work independently; an agent usually works as part of a residential real estate firm or commercial real estate agency as a licensed broker to represent clients.
A real estate agent can sometimes be referred to as a real estate salesperson, real estate sales agent, commercial real estate agent, and real estate professional.
Real Estate Agent Job Description Sample
Our real estate firm seeks a real estate agent or real estate broker to assist clients with their real estate needs. This includes showing properties, assessing properties, managing home inspections, assisting with mortgage broker requirements, and providing an optimal customer experience to every potential client. The ideal candidate is an agent who can start right away.
Real Estate Agent Duties and Responsibilities
Below are sample job duties and real estate agent responsibilities:
- Work closely with a listing agent to ensure properties are managed and promoted.
- Stay on top of the local and geographical real estate market.
- Work closely with the potential buyer of the property to answer questions about associations, property details, and house showings.
- Walk a prospective buyer through properties.
- Assist with the real estate transaction and the buying process, including the writing of a purchase agreement and other details required by the financial institution.
- Assist with lead generation of potential clients and buyers of the property.
- Work closely with a home inspector during the final sales process.
- Work closely with a property manager to coordinate house showings.
- Report sale information and other key findings to the real estate investor group.
- Be able to escrow companies for commercial property sales.
- Write representation contracts for a prospective client and buyer.
- Write key information about the home for the mortgage broker.
- Act as a buyer’s agent to each client and guide clients through the process of buying and selling a home.
When listing the job description, it’s important to understand the job title variations and its accompanying requirement and duties—for example, a buyer’s agent, listing agent, and leasing agent. Buyer’s agents are legally bound to help buyers, whereas listing agents—the real estate agent representing the home listing—have a fiduciary duty to the home seller.
Real Estate Agent Requirements
Qualified candidates should have the following:
- Must have a real estate license (state license) to practice as a real estate broker and real estate agent.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must have a firm background in the real estate industry.
- Must have strong experience in sales.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills.
- Must have a valid state driver’s license.
Real Estate Agent Skills
Top candidates have one or more of the following skills:
- Punctuality skills.
- Negotiation skills.
- Verbal communication skills.
- Presentation skills.
- Education skills.
- Adaptability skills.
- Networking skills.
- Problem-solving skills.
- Interpersonal skills.
- Business skills.
- Organizational skills.
Also, Kapre.com says that a significant trait of a great real estate agent is someone who has up-to-date knowledge of the real estate market, industry, and more. Saying, “Staying up-to-date on the latest topics in real estate and the local market will allow you to service clients more effectively. Continuing education and professional development are doors to opportunity that you can utilize to expand your business options and stay at the forefront of the real estate field.”
Real Estate Agent Salary
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, a real estate agent and real estate broker earn roughly $50,730 per year, on average. Real estate brokers can be working independently, not as part of a real estate firm, which can alter the position’s average median income. On average, a real estate broker can earn anywhere from $25,000 per year to $120,000 per year depending on the type of real estate being sold and whether it’s being sold as part of an investment group or independently.
Real Estate Agent Certifications and Licenses
Top candidates have one or more of the following real estate certifications and designations:
- Certified Residential Specialist
- Seller Representative Specialist
- Accredited Buyer’s Representative
- Certified Real Estate Broker Manager
- Certified Property Manager
- Certified Real Estate Team Specialist
- Certified Commercial Investment Member
- Certified International Property Specialist
Offered by Residential Real Estate Council of Real Estate Business Institute.
Real Estate Agent Job Boards
As an employer, it’s suggested to post the job description or job advertisement (sometimes referred to as a “job ad”) to a smaller job board rather than using a national job board. Job seekers who have a higher degree of interest in the industry tend to look for open positions on these job boards.
Post the job advertisement on the smaller job board first, then see what an applicant’s caliber is coming from them. After, choose whether or not to post on a more national job board like Indeed, Monster, or Dice.com
Top real estate agent job boards
Real Estate Agent Job Description Tips
When writing a real estate job description, follow these best practices.
Choose the appropriate job title
One of the most common mistakes is not defining the job title for the real estate agent. In the real estate world, there are varying job titles that describe the applicant’s required duties. Research and determine which of these job titles are best for the role:
- Agricultural Real Estate Agent
- Apartment Leasing Agent
- Apartment Leasing Consultant
- Apartment Rental Agent
- Associate Broker
- Broker Associate
- Broker in Charge
- Building Consultant
- Buyers’ Agent
- Closing Agent
- Closing Coordinator
- Contracts Specialist
- Industrial Real Estate Agent
- Land Agent
- Land Sales Agent
- Leasing Agent
- Leasing Consultant
- Leasing Professional
- Leasing Specialist
- Real Estate Agent
- Real Estate Agent/Broker
- Real Estate Broker
- Real Estate Broker Associate
- Real Estate Closer
- Real Estate Rental Agent
- Real Estate Sales Agent
- Real Estate Sales Associate
- Real Estate Salesperson
- Rental Sales Agent
- Residence Leasing Agent
- Right of Way Agent
- Right-of-Way Agent
- Right-of-Way Buyer
- Sales Agent
- Sales Superintendent
Real Estate Agent Education Requirements
A real estate agent must have a high school diploma or GED. A bachelor’s degree in any field is acceptable. The real estate agent must be at least 18 or 19 years of age, depending on the state. And has completed a required pre-license education. This education varies on a state-level. For information regarding the state’s requirements, visit this resource.
A completion of the real estate license examination for the state completes the required education for a real estate agent to start practicing professionally.
Real Estate Agent Resources
Resources for real estate agents and real estate brokers:
Download the free real estate agent job description PDF template. And use the sample real estate agent job description provided to make an efficient job posting for your company. For more information please visit the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
About the author
Patrick Algrim is a Certified Professional Resume Writer (CPRW), NCDA Certified Career Counselor (CCC), and general career expert. Patrick has completed the NACE Coaching Certification Program (CCP). And has been published as a career expert on Forbes, Glassdoor, American Express, Reader’s Digest, LiveCareer, Zety, Yahoo, Recruiter.com, SparkHire, SHRM.org, Process.st, FairyGodBoss, HRCI.org, St. Edwards University, NC State University, IBTimes.com, Thrive Global, TMCnet.com, Work It Daily, Workology, Career Guide, MyPerfectResume, College Career Life, The HR Digest, WorkWise, Career Cast, Elite Staffing, Women in HR, All About Careers, Upstart HR, The Street, Monster, The Ladders, Introvert Whisperer, and many more. Find him on LinkedIn.