Free accounting clerk job description. An accounting clerk is a finance professional who works as part of a finance team. The accounting clerk handles tasks like the matching of purchase orders and vouchers. Performing data entry against balance sheets, maintaining accounting records, and filing financial statements and other financial documents.
An accounting clerk is sometimes referred to as an auditing clerk, accounts receivable clerk, and bookkeeping clerk.
Accounting Clerk Job Description Sample
Our accounting team is looking for an accounting professional who can oversee our accounting clerk duties and responsibilities. This includes overseeing invoices, recording financial statements and financial transactions as well as assisting with the processing of accounts payable and accounts receivable requests. The accounting clerk should have a general understanding of recording financial statements to a balance sheet and tracking financial transactions and financial statements.
Accounting Clerk Duties and Responsibilities
Sample job duties (sometimes referred to as “job tasks”) and accounting clerk responsibilities:
- Work closely with the certified public accountant, bookkeeper, payable clerk, receivable clerk, accounting assistant, and other accounting team members to oversee the accounting department.
- Follow company accounting principles and accounting procedures on a regular basis. Ensuring the safety and security of financial records, financial reports, and other sensitive information.
- Oversee the data entry of financial statements and information into a general ledger or balance sheet. Accounting for all financial data and financial transactions.
- Work closely with the accounts payable team and accounts payable clerk to oversee payroll and track statements into a general ledger and balance sheet.
- Ensure each bank deposit is properly tracked in its debit and credit balance sheet.
- Track purchase orders, vouchers, and outstanding invoices as part of regular financial record keeping.
Accounting Clerk Requirements
Qualified candidates should have the following job requirements:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Associate’s Degree in Accounting is preferred.
- CPA (Certified Public Accountant) is a plus.
- Experience with accounting software such as Microsoft Excel, Quickbooks, and more.
- Interpersonal skills and written communication skills is a plus.
Accounting Clerk Salary
According to Salary.com, an accounting clerk earns $40,169 per year, on average. With the top percentile earning $49,351 per year, on average. And entry-level workers earning $31,855 per year, on average.
Accounting Clerk Skills
Top candidates in the accounting clerk position should have the following skills:
- Problem solving skills
- Planning skills
- Leadership skills
- Decision making skills
- Organizational skills
- Analytical skills
- Time management skills
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the following skills are desirable amongst accounting clerk professionals:
- Computer skills. Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks need to be comfortable using computer spreadsheets and bookkeeping software.
- Detail-oriented. Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks are responsible for producing accurate financial records. They must pay attention to detail in order to avoid making errors and recognize errors that others have made.
- Integrity. Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks have control of an organization’s financial documentation, which they must use properly and keep confidential. It is vital that they keep records transparent and guard against misusing an organization’s funds.
- Math skills. Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks deal with numbers daily and should be comfortable with basic arithmetic.
Lastly, Robert Half describes what makes a great accounting clerk. Stating, “Excellent soft skills are another expectation of an accounting clerk. You need to be a pro in the art of communication, as you’ll be interacting with coworkers from other departments. It’s also important that you’re organized and very good at keeping track of the information for which you’re responsible. Discretion is vital because much of that information will be confidential or sensitive. The ability to think critically and solve problems can help you figure out why ledgers and statements aren’t reconciling. Finally, you’ll need to be comfortable both working independently and as part of a team.”
Accounting clerk certifications
Top candidates may have a Certified Public Booker (CPB) certification issued by the National Association of Certified Public Bookkeepers. Or a Certified Bookkeeper (CB) designation that’s awarded by the American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers.
Accounting Clerk Job Boards
There are many job boards specific to the accounting and finance industry. Job seekers and employers should use these specialty job boards before deciding to move to another national job board. Or a local job board through a community center, city/township Facebook group, or other.
Top accounting clerk job boards
When posting a job advertisement for an open accounts payable position as an employer. It’s advised to post the job on a “niche” job board. Before posting on a national job board like Indeed, Dice.com, or Monster. The “niche” job boards contain job seekers with a higher degree of passion for the position. And a greater desire to advance themselves through their careers.
Related job descriptions
Download the free accounting clerk job description PDF template. And use the sample accounting clerk job description provided to make an efficient job posting for your company. For more information please visit the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
About the author
Patrick Algrim is a Certified Professional Resume Writer (CPRW), NCDA Certified Career Counselor (CCC), and general career expert. Patrick has completed the NACE Coaching Certification Program (CCP). And has been published as a career expert on Forbes, Glassdoor, American Express, Reader’s Digest, LiveCareer, Zety, Yahoo, Recruiter.com, SparkHire, SHRM.org, Process.st, FairyGodBoss, HRCI.org, St. Edwards University, NC State University, IBTimes.com, Thrive Global, TMCnet.com, Work It Daily, Workology, Career Guide, MyPerfectResume, College Career Life, The HR Digest, WorkWise, Career Cast, Elite Staffing, Women in HR, All About Careers, Upstart HR, The Street, Monster, The Ladders, Introvert Whisperer, and many more. Find him on LinkedIn.