Global Peace Index 2021; Check India’s Position
Bangladesh improved its position by 7 notches in the Global Peace Index 2021 compiled by the Institute of Economics and Peace (IEP) based in Sydney, Australia.
- In its 15th edition ranking 163 countries according to their level of peacefulness.
- India has moved up two notches from its previous year’s ranking to become the 135th most peaceful country in the world and the 5th in the region.
- Bangladesh has scored an overall score of 2.68 making it the third most peaceful country in South Asia placed behind Bhutan and Nepal.
- Afghanistan has been ranked as the least peaceful country in the South Asian region.
- Globally, Iceland was on the top of the peace index followed by New Zealand, Denmark and Portugal. Out of the 10 most peaceful countries in the world, 8 are from Europe.
- Only three out of nine regions in the world improved in the peace index. The largest improvement occurred in the Middle East and North Africa.
- The economic impact of violence to the global economy in 2020 was $14.96 trillion in purchasing power parity (PPP) terms which is equivalent to 11.6 percent of the world’s economic activity.
- The report points out that the average level of global peacefulness declined by 0.07 percent marking the 9th deterioration in the last thirteen years.
- The IEP covers 99.7 percent of the world’s population using 23 qualitative and quantitative indicators to measure the state of peace across three parameters of societal safety and security, ongoing domestic and international conflict and the degree of militarisation.
Published on 6/18/2021 4:47:00 PM